• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Accelerated work out recovery

Tunnelfission

Bluelighter
The question has been on my mind recently plainly put.

Since sleeping is when most of the recovery of muscle tissue takes place after a muscle building working would taking extra naps or sleeping 12 instead of 8 hours the days after those workout accelerate recovery time by a significant amount?

I find myself quite sleepy and drained even emotionally so after a workout, which tend to be quite intense but on a longer than average basis, basically an upper body or lower body routine every 4 days because my recovery time seems to be a little longer than many people, I can move some decent weight and train in effective ways but it really takes a a lot out of me.

I slept for 14 hours last night and it seems to have caused me to feel a bit better than I assume I would have after only a normal 8 hour sleep, will sleeping extra after serious workouts avail one to being able to work out more often and avoid over training and nervous system exhaustion?

I have certainly over trained before the symptoms are obvious now but I'm nowhere near any of the routines I read on the internet 4-5 day a week routines? that's what pushed me over the edge :(.

I don't think sleeping longer helps combat nervous system exhaustion. It sounds to me like your just training too hard. After 4 days rest your body should have plenty of energy to produce a very affective workout.

When you ask whether sleeping more will allow you to rebuild fiber faster, I think it will, but for a muscle to fully recover it takes 3-4 days.I think you need to pay more attention to your sleep schedule. Having a regular sleep schedule 8 or 9 hours a day as o posed to sleeping 12 some days and 9 on others, as well as taking random naps, starts to confuse your body when its time to sleep and when it's time to be awake.

The fact that you get exhausted so easily seems to me that your overtraining, either putting up too much weight, not giving proper rest times between sets, or taking too long of a workout.
Remember form overshoots amount of weight every time. meaning if you put up a lot of weight and your form isn't correct your not getting the most out of every set.

Another thing to t hink about is your diet. Eating a lot of carbs will tend to slow you down and make you tired, just like eating/drinking protein will help your muscles recover faster, things such as potassium and vitamins like vitamin c will give you energy.

Good luck and remember that you get out of your body what you put into it

Last edited:
Glutamine is the best thing for recovery imo its like the daddy of all supplements

also Dessicated liver tablets help a great deal

glutamine, zma, melatonin, extra sleep, and extra calories will all speed recovery

Hot baths with apple cider vinegar. That plus vigorous stretching. Stretching IS working out; it's as important, if not more so, than what we guys often consider the "main course." Dynamic stretching before, static stretching after. Since I've incorporated those two things, vinegar baths (with The Mother!) and disciplined stretching (especially on "off" days), I'm four weeks in and yet to have even a remote problem with injuries. I work out ~2-3 hours a day (one day of recovery, one day completely off), so chances are I'm training just as hard as you!

Also keep in mind that slow and steady wins the race! Consistency, consistency. Whatever you have to do, or tell yourself, to keep yourself consistent, do.

For me I just want to get better one day at a time. One day at a time. One breath at a time.

The rest is cake!

^ I second the stretching idea, I never stretched for my first 3 years of lifting, around 2 months ago i started stretching before every workout and I've seen some serious gains